A Sub 250g Biplane

Please post any constructive suggestions you may have on how to improve our products and our website!
speedbirdted

A Sub 250g Biplane

Post by speedbirdted »

I've seen some talk on Facebook about a sub 250 gram biplane. Difficult to accomplish but I think it's doable. How about a Baby Bi 250? It fits the theme of a simple to construct plane just about perfectly if you ask me. Square fuselage, constant chord straight wings, the whole nine yards. The plan shows ailerons on both wings but they would likely work fine on just one wing to cut the weight of extra servos out.

If you like the idea I would be happy to build up a preproduction kit ;)

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1341
Attachments
003.jpg
SavageX89

Re: A Sub 250g Biplane

Post by SavageX89 »

ooO! that would be cool! I bet one of the Wee Series would be a good starting point. Small and light weight. Just add a set of Ailerons.
WillyNillies.com
Site Admin

Post by WillyNillies.com »

speedbirdted wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:04 pm I've seen some talk on Facebook about a sub 250 gram biplane. Difficult to accomplish but I think it's doable. How about a Baby Bi 250? It fits the theme of a simple to construct plane just about perfectly if you ask me. Square fuselage, constant chord straight wings, the whole nine yards. The plan shows ailerons on both wings but they would likely work fine on just one wing to cut the weight of extra servos out.

If you like the idea I would be happy to build up a preproduction kit ;)

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1341

Very cool plane! We will definitely look into this! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Caswell

Post by Caswell »

Would it have a ~24in wingspan you think?
WillyNillies.com
Site Admin

Post by WillyNillies.com »

24" would be the absolute biggest it could be and still manage to keep under 250 grams.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Nipp62

Post by Nipp62 »

Another good subject would be the Weekend Wren.
FlyingTyger

Post by FlyingTyger »

I'd love to see a Schoolgirl 250. :-)
8052.jpg
-Tony
Loosenutt

Post by Loosenutt »

Some food for thought.
The Sub-250 Bipes are a little tougher to do, but can be accomplished. I currently have the Gere Sport flying under the 250 margin and 2 more proto types started levering my findings from the original Gere Sport I built.
Talking to folks at Toledo it seems that Ailerons are a big request and they add a bit of weight with even one servo.
With the release of the Honker, a Honker Bipe would be easy for someone that has built a few WN planes to create using an extra wing kit. I just ordered a Kit but may not get to it for a bit, or it may get built in a night just to gage weights to see what the wing weighs for adding a second, adding the weight of a servo, more power for more drag is another factor. 1306 and the 12A ESC are almost double the weight of the 1104 and 6A ESC.
Things I found with the Gere:
I needed more rudder to get a good rudder roll, this added more tail weight.
A second set of wings were built a bay shorter on each side to bring a better roll rate, very exciting with an unseen warp in one wing I might add!
Adding a servo and Ailerons kicked the lost weight right back up as well as the added wing area with the strip Ailerons. Adding Cord did not changing the faster roll rate by the way.
Changing to the 1806 from the 1306 I gain some much needed additional power and prop wash flying Rudder and Elevator only, again upping the weight.
The Short wings with Ailerons on bottom and 1806 flew at 248 grams. This was the averaged weight from all 4 of my Scales. I have a set of master weights and I checked them all within a gram of each other. A kit will need to have a better margin for potential builders. So I figure a Target weight on prototypes of 235 grams.